Aggregate 10 % Ten percent fines value test procedure of coarse aggregate is required to find out the resistance of coarse aggregate to crushing. We described the test procedure of 10% Ten percent fines value of coarse aggregate as per IS code with 10% Ten percent fines value apparatus and limits.
Determination of 10 Percent Fines Value
What is 10 % Ten Percent Fines Value of an Aggregate?
10 % Ten percent fines value of aggregate is a measure of the aggregate resistance to crushing.
Why is 10 % Ten Percent Fines Value of Aggregate Test Required?
- 10 % Ten percent fines Value test required to know the resistance strength of coarse aggregate.
- 10 % Ten percent fines of aggregate Value must be satisfied with resistance to crushing under the roller during compaction.
- If the aggregate is weak in resistance, the stability of the pavement or structure is likely to be adversely affected.
10 % Ten percent fines Value Test of Aggregate IS Code
IS Code for 10 % Ten percent fines value test of aggregate is IS 2386 part 4.
10 % Ten percent fines Value Test Apparatus and Tools
- One open ended cylinder made by steel ( dia – 150 mm ) with plunger and base plate.
- Measuring cylinder ( dia – 115 mm, height – 180 mm ).
- Tamping rod ( dia – 16 mm, length – 450 mm to 600 mm ).
- Weighing balance ( capacity minimum – 3000 gram, least count – 1 gram ).
- Compression testing machine.
- IS Sieve 12.5 mm, 10.0 mm and 2.36 mm.
- Dial gauge.
Precautions Before Proceeding the Test
We should test 10 % Ten percent fines value of aggregate in surface saturated dry condition. If you are using oven dried aggregates for this test, it shall be dried not more than four hours otherwise result may affect.
Before 10 % Ten percent fines Value test we should ensure that the aggregate’s temperature is similar to room temperature.
10 % Ten percent fines value apparatus and tools should be cleaned before proceeding the test.
10 % Ten Percent Fines Value Test Procedure of Coarse Aggregate
- Take aggregates for 10 % Ten percent fines value test from stacking yard not less than four places.
- Mix the aggregates and take the aggregate sample by quartering it.
- Near about 7 kilogram sample required for two tests.
- Sieve these aggregates through 12.5 mm and 10.0 mm.
- Take aggregates for the test which passed through 12.5 mm and retained on 10.0 mm.
- Take aggregate measuring cylinder and we have to pour aggregates in this cylinder in three approximately equal layers. Each layer shall be temped 25 times by tamping rod.
- In third layer fill aggregate over than the top surface of measuring cylinder then temp 25 times.
- Struck off the extra aggregates with temping rod using as a straight edge.
- Take the weight of these aggregates, Note down as weight A.
- Place cylinder ( open on both end ) on the base plate then place weighed aggregates in this cylinder layer by layer.
- Again same procedure we have to follow to fill these aggregates in this open ended cylinder means three layers, 25 blows for each layer.
- Level the aggregates horizontally in the cylinder so that plunger can give the equal distribution load all over aggregates.
- Place the plunger in the cylinder.
- Place this setup in compression testing machine, position in center.
- Set the rate of loading so that it will penetrate 20 mm in 10 minutes.
- Stop the compression testing machine when penetration reaches 20 mm in 10 minutes.
- Place all aggregates and particles in 2.36 mm sieve which kept already in a tray.
- Sieve it until aggregate particles are passing. When it stops take the weight of passing material as weight B.
Share with Other Engineers
How To Calculate Required Load
For this calculation, Use the average fine percentage from two test and applied load.
Required Load for Ten percent fine value = (14 * x) / (y+4)
where x is average of two loads,
y is average of two fine percentage.
10 % Ten Percent Fine Value Test of Aggregate Calculation and Formula
Aggregate crushing value (%) = (B / A) *100
10 % Ten Percent Fine Value Limit
The limit of 10 percent fine value limit is 7.5 to 12.5.
Viva Questions on 10 % Fine value Test
Q.1 What is 10 % fines value of an aggregate?
Ans. 10 % fines value of an aggregate is the resistance strength of crushing.
Q.2 What is the IS code used for 10 percent fines value test procedure?
Ans. IS 2386 part 4 is used for 10 % fines value test procedure.
Q.3 What is limit for 10 % fines value test?
Ans. Limit of 10 % fines value test is 7.5 to 12.5.
Any Other Questions? Just ask in comment. We are waiting.
We bring new test procedures and information.
Share with Other Engineers