Soundness Test of Cement Procedure by Le chatelier apparatus is required to find out the ability of cement to retain its volume after get hardened. We described the procedure of soundness test of cement by Le-chatelier apparatus method with IS Code details.
Soundness Test of Cement Determines
Soundness of cement is a quality to identify the excess amount of lime in cement, which is called soundness of cement.
Why Soundness Test of Cement is Done
Why we do Soundness Test of Cement
Purpose of Soundness of Cement
Importance of Soundness of Cement
If soundness of cement is more than its limit then cement paste volume shall be expand after getting hardened and crack may develop. So that soundness test of cement is necessary for any cement which is going to be used in any type of construction work.
Soundness Test of Cement IS Code
For soundness test, the standard code is IS code 4031 part 3 1988.
Soundness of Cement Apparatus and Tools Required?
Following tools required for Soundness test of cement
- Le chatelier apparatus ( confirming to IS 5514 – 1969 )
- Weighing balance , capacity – 1000 gm, least count – 1 gram,
- Water bath to boil the water and maintain 27 +/- 2 degree centigrade
- Glass sheet 2 number.
Precautions Before Test
- Sample of cement which is going to be tested, shall be thoroughly mixed before test.
- Temperature of testing room, cement and water shall be 27 +/-2 degree centigrade.
- Relative humidity of testing room shall be 65 +/- 5 percent and for moist room minimum 90 percent.
- Clean le chatelier apparatus and all test related tools before test.
Soundness Test of Cement Procedure
- Take 200 gram of cement after mixing the cement sample on an electronic balance with 1 gram accuracy.
- Take water 0.78 times of standard consistency, if standard consistency is 28 percent then
28 * 0.78 = 21.84 %,
so, weight of water = cement wt * 21.84 %
weight of water = 200 * 21.84% = 43.68 gram.
- Apply light grease or oil on both glass plate and le-chatelier mould.
- Prepare the paste of cement water by proper mixing.
- Place the Le-chatelier mould on a light oiled glass sheet.
- Fill this paste in le-chatelier mould.
- Cover this mould with a light oiled glass sheet.
- Both edges of le-chatelier mould must be stay together while performing this operation. So take care.
- Place a small weight on coverd glass sheet.
- Place this assembly in water bath at a temperature of 27 +/- 2 degree centigrade.
- Leave it for 24 hours.
- Remove the assembly from water and measure the distance between both indicators to nearest 0.5 mm. Note it as L1.
- Place the assembly again in water bath.
- bring the water to boiling in 25 to 30 minutes.
- After reaching to boiling,let it boil for 3 hours.
- After three hours remove the assembly from boiling water and allow it to be cool in atmosphere temperature.
- Measure the distance between both indicator of le-chatelier mould. Note it as L2.
Share with other Engineers
Soundness Test of Cement Calculation and Report
Distance between both indicaters before boiling = L1
Distance between both indicaters after boiling = L2
Soundness of Cement ( difference ) = L2 – L1
Soundness Test of Cement Limit
Limit of soundness of cement is maximum 10.0 mm.
Viva Questions on Soundness of Cement
Q.1 Why do we test soundness of cement?
Ans. To find out the ability of the cement to retain its volume after getting hardened.
Q.2 What is the IS code for soundness test of cement?
Ans. The IS code for soundness test of cement is IS 4031 part 3.
Q.3 Which apparatus shall be used for soundness test of cement?
Ans. Le-chatelier apparatus shall be used for soundness test of cement.
Q.4 How much water required for soundness of cement?
Ans. Water required for soundness of cement 0.78 times of standard consistency.
Ex – If standard consistency is 28%, then water required for soundness test is 28 * 0.78 = 21.84.
so we will use water 21.84 % of cement weight.
Any Other Question? Just ask in comment. We are waiting.
Share with other Engineers