Soundness Test of Cement Procedure by Le chatelier apparatus is required to find out the ability of cement to retain its volume after get hardened. We described the procedure of soundness test of cement by Le-chatelier apparatus method with IS Code details.
Soundness of cement is a quality to identify the excess amount of lime in cement, which is called soundness of cement.
Why Soundness of Cement test required?
If soundness of cement is more than its limit then cement paste volume shall be expand after getting hardened and crack may develop. So that soundness test of cement is necessary for any cement which is going to be used in any type of construction work.
Soundness of Cement Test IS Code
For cement soundness test, the standard code is IS code 4031 part 3 1988.
Soundness Test of Cement Apparatus and Tools Required?
Following tools required for Soundness test of cement
1. Le chatelier apparatus ( confirming to IS 5514 – 1969 )
2. Weighing balance , capacity – 1000 gm, least count – 1 gram,
3. Water bath to boil the water and maintain 27 +/- 2 degree centigrade
4. Glass sheet 2 number.
Precautions Before Test
1. Sample of cement which is going to be tested, shall be thoroughly mixed before test.
2. Temperature of testing room, cement and water shall be 27 +/-2 degree centigrade.
3. Relative humidity of testing room shall be 65 +/- 5 percent and for moist room minimum 90 percent.
4. Clean le chatelier apparatus and all test related tools before test.
Test Procedure of Soundness Test of Cement
1. Take 200 gram of cement after mixing the cement sample on a electronic balance with 1 gram accuracy.
2. Take water 0.78 times of standard consistency, if standard consistency is 28 percent then
28 * 0.78 = 21.84 %,
so, weight of water = cement wt * 21.84 %
weight of water = 200 * 21.84% = 43.68 gram.
3. Apply light grease or oil on both glass plate and le-chatelier mould.
4. Prepare the paste of cement water by proper mixing.
6. Fill this paste in le-chatelier mould.
7. Cover this mould with a light oiled glass sheet.
8. Both edges of le-chatelier mould must be stay together while performing this operation. So take care.
9. Place a small weight on coverd glass sheet.
10. Place this assembly in water bath at a temperature of 27 +/- 2 degree centigrade.
11. Leave it for 24 hours.
12. Remove the assembly from water and measure the distance between both indicators to nearest 0.5 mm. Note it as L1.
13. Place the assembly again in water bath.
14. bring the water to boiling in 25 to 30 minutes.
15. After reaching to boiling,let it boil for 3 hours.
16. After three hours remove the assembly from boiling water and allow it to be cool in atmosphere temperature.
17. Measure the distance between both indicator of le-chatelier mould. Note it as L2.
Soundness Test of Cement Calculation and Report of
Distance between both indicaters before boiling = L1
Distance between both indicaters after boiling = L2
Soundness of Cement ( difference ) = L2 – L1
Soundness of Cement Limit
Limit of soundness of cement is maximum 10.0 mm.
Click here for Consistency test of cement by Vicat apparatus
Click here for Cement Mortar Cube casting by Vibration machine